At the beginning of 2014, a significant event for online business took place - for the first time in the history of the Internet, the activity of mobile users surpassed the activity of PC users. This discovery is owned by comScore. In one of her recent studies, she found that in January of this year, the time spent on the Internet by US mobile users accounted for 55% of the total time using the global network. Below is a graph illustrating this statement:
As can be seen from the graph, mobile users who use applications (any other than browsers) spend the most time on the Internet. Next come PC users and last place is mobile users using browsers. Please note again:
The activity of mobile users surpassed the activity of PC users, but the main means for accessing the Internet were not mobile browsers (as many might have thought), but mobile applications.
Some more recent statistics
For a better understanding of the current situation, here are some more facts from foreign studies in 2014:
- In January 2014, the number of smartphone users among the US adult population was 58%. Tablet users turned out to be a little less - 42% (source).
- In 2014, the number of users who use mobile devices to view online video increased significantly: 75% vs. 61% is the 2012 figure.
- The border between personal life and work every year becomes more imperceptible: 82% of participants in a recent study admitted that they are looking for information about goods and services for their company in the evenings from home using a tablet.
And now a few facts from a domestic study conducted by Mail.ru Group at the end of 2013:
- The penetration of mobile Internet in Russia has increased significantly over the past year. In the period from December 2012 to December 2013 the growth of the monthly audience was 53%.
- 87% of those surveyed during the survey stated that they use smartphones mainly to search for information.
- 67% of Russian-speaking web professionals do not adapt sites for mobile devices at all. 5% use the mobile application, and 28% use the mobile version of the site.
What conclusions can be drawn from all this?
The first. Website optimization for mobile traffic in 2014 is no longer just desirable, but mandatory! Every year the number of mobile users is growing, and it is simply impossible to ignore this fact.
Second. Statistics Mail.ru Group clearly proves the fact that in RuNet most sites are not optimized for mobile devices. Therefore, by adapting your site to mobile traffic now, you can automatically bypass baboutmost of their competitors.
Third. Site optimization for mobile traffic is one of the factors affecting the "happiness of users." And this means that, by adapting your website for mobile users, you can also significantly improve your position in the issue. Believe me, this is not just a statement. This is a fact confirmed by our own experience - when we implemented an adaptive design on our website, in just a month our refusal rate dropped sharply and the length of the session increased. More details about this can be found in our case.
Fourth. Despite the fact that traffic from mobile applications is leading in the English-language Internet, you should not mindlessly choose this optimization method. Besides it, there are two more types: mobile version of the site and adaptive layout. You can read about the differences between them in our article “How to optimize websites for mobile traffic”. Also, you will certainly be useful material on the promotion of sites using mobile applications - "How to promote projects using mobile applications: a step by step guide."
As you can see, everything is quite simple and obvious. Mobile traffic is growing steadily, but many domestic webmasters still reassure themselves by the fact that in runet their number is still not as large as in the bourgeois and there is no need to take any measures. Well what can I say? Continue in the same spirit. Soon you will have a hard time in the fight against more far-sighted competitors.