Our blog has several articles on Google Analytics. And Yandex.Metrika, a web analytics system with similar capabilities, has so far remained undeservedly deprived of attention. It's time to correct the misunderstanding: meet the guide that will help you install, configure and use Yandex.Metrica.
- Old and new "Yandex.Metrika"
- How to install "Yandex.Metrica"
- How to set up Yandex.Metrica: summary
- How to use standard Yandex.Metrica reports
- How to create a custom report
- How to analyze user behavior with the help of "Webvisor"
- How to use "Metrics" cards
- Target call
- Yandex.Metrika: the best solution for novice site owners
Why use Metric if you have Google Analytics
"Metric" is a web analytics service from the Yandex search engine that allows you to track and analyze website performance. In turn, Analytics is a Google search and monitoring system. The choice of a web analytics tool or their sharing is a matter of your preferences and habits, as well as the tasks that you solve.
If you are learning to implement Internet projects or do web analytics unprofessionally, choose one monitoring system and focus on studying its functionality. This will allow you to avoid the pitfalls of metrics and devote more time to creating content and caring for users.
For beginners, both Yandex.Metrica and Google Analytics will do. But if you are still undecided, here are some arguments in favor of Metrics:
- The metric was created and maintained by the Yandex search system, which is leading in terms of the number of user requests being processed in runet. Integration with other services of the "search engine", for example, with the contextual advertising system "Direct", can simplify the marketing of the project.
- In "Metric" there is a unique function "Webvisor" that allows you to visually assess the behavior of visitors.
- In Yandex.Metrica, you can easily configure tracking of the exact failure rate. In order to keep track of the updated bounce rate in Google Analytics, you will need to use a tag manager or change the analytics code.
- Metric 2.0 displays search queries for the most popular site login pages.
- The interface "Metrics" and "Metrics 2.0" is simpler and clearer for beginners than the interface of the Google analytics system.
Already decided? Then read the step-by-step guide on working with Yandex.Metrica.
Old and new "Yandex.Metrika"
In the summer of 2014, Yandex launched a beta test of the new Metrics. Some users and experts call it "Metric 2.0". Currently, the updated service is available at //metrika.yandex.ru/.
If you are familiar with the Yandex web analytics system for the first time, start working with its updated version. Here are some arguments in favor of this decision:
- The new "Metric" allows you to work with custom segments. Flexible segmentation settings provide site owners with the ability to analyze and predict customer needs and behavior.
- Updated service allows you to track search queries.
- The interface "Metrics 2.0" more convenient, modern and understandable compared to the standard version.
How to install "Yandex.Metrica"
To use the "Metric", log in to the site service. Stick to the following action algorithm:
- In the "Counters" menu, select the "Add Counter" option.
- Specify the name of the counter and the URL of the site. Read the user agreement and mark it with consent. Specify the method of notification of problems with the site, select the time zone and timeout visit. Click the "Create" button.
- Select the "Counter Code" tab. Check the box next to the option "Web browser, scrolling card, form analytics". If you want to install an informer on the site, check the box next to the corresponding field. Using the option "Customize" select the appropriate appearance of the element ".
- Copy the counter code and paste it into the site's HTML code. If you are using WordPress, install the Yandex.Metrica plugin.
- Skip the options "Webvisor" and "Goals", you will configure them later. If necessary, adjust the filters. For example, filter traffic from your company's office. To do this, select the "Filters" menu. If you have a static IP, use the settings shown in the illustration. If you have a dynamic IP, specify the address range. Save the parameters.
How to set up Yandex.Metrica: summary
To see a summary of site performance data, select the appropriate option in the vertical menu.
The summary will help you quickly assess the current situation and understand what data you need to carefully analyze. Remember, you can customize the summary data: choose a standard or specify an arbitrary period of time, choose the method of detail, create new or use standard widgets.
To create a widget, use the appropriate button. Select the type of widget.
In the settings of the widget, specify the name. Select the type of statistics, specify the metric and grouping method.
If necessary, segment the audience. To do this, select the "Segmentation" option and tick the criteria for combining visitors into groups. Save the widget.
To use the standard widget, use the library. Select the section of interest and the widget, add it to the summary.
How to use standard Yandex.Metrica reports
To use standard reports, in the vertical menu, select the option "Reports - standard reports".
Using the standard attendance report, you can estimate traffic to the site for standard or arbitrary periods of time. To select a custom interval, use the date selection menu.
The report allows you to detail the data in minutes, hours, days, weeks and months. You can change the display order of the detailed data. You can also evaluate the quantitative, qualitative and behavioral characteristics of traffic: the number of visits, views and visitors, the number of new visitors and their share in total traffic, bounce rate, depth of views and time on the site.
New "Metric" allows you to track traffic in the context of audience segments. To create segments, use the "Segment" option. For example, to highlight a separate segment of men aged 25 to 34 years from Moscow, select the menu "Segment - audience." Specify the demographic data of the users you want to merge into a segment.
You can compare standard and custom segments. For example, you have the opportunity to compare the behavior of men from Moscow and the Moscow region between the ages of 25 and 34 with all men of this age who visit the site. To do this, select the corresponding segment and use the "Compare segments" menu.
On the page that opens, use the "Segment" menu and enter the required demographic data. Comparison is ready:
You can export site traffic data in .csv, .xlsx, .pdf format. To do this, use the icon marked in the illustration.
To use the Conversion report, you must set goals. Yandex.Metrica will consider achieving goals as conversions. Act like this:
- Select the "Settings - Targets" menu and use the "Add Target" button.
Name the goal. Indicate the conditions for achieving it. Imagine that you have chosen to visit the Contacts page as a goal. Insert the URL of the page in the appropriate field and save the target.
After adding goals, you can track conversions. To do this, use the "Reports - Standard Reports - Conversions" menu. On the report page you can select the monitoring period as well as the details. You can also segment your audience. For example, the system allows you to track conversions for an arbitrary period with a breakdown by weeks that women from Russia have committed.
To use the Sources report, select the menu Reports — Standard Reports — Sources — Sources, Summary.
The report summary contains information about traffic sources. You can choose a standard or custom analysis period, drill down, as well as segment the audience and compare segments. You can also choose an attribution model. If you select the “Last Significant Transition” model, the system will not consider non-significant sources. For example, if a user found your website two days ago using a “search engine” and today made a direct transition, the system will consider the search engine as the source. Also "Metric" will not take into account internal transitions.
You can choose the type of chart, as well as assess the attendance by country. To do this, use one of the icons above the diagram.
Metric allows you to include arbitrary user groups in the report. To do this, use the menu "Grouping". For example, you can segment visits by source, behavior, demographic characteristics.
With the help of the "Metrics" button you can edit the parameters for evaluating sources. For example, to estimate the age of the audience coming to your site from different sources, use the menu "Metrics - audience - age".
Using the menu "Select target" you can estimate the conversion rate of traffic from different sources. To do this, click on the appropriate button and add a target.
You can evaluate in detail the traffic in the context of groups of sources: sites, search engines, social networks and others. For example, to estimate traffic from search engines, use the menu "Reports - standard reports - sources - search engines".
"Metric" allows you to detail the data for each search engine: track traffic from natural and mobile search, search for pictures, videos or using the application. You can also track search phrases used by your visitors.
To use this report, select the "Reports - Standard Reports - Visitors" menu. The "Geography" section allows you to assess visits by country. Pay attention to the possibility to detail the data for each country. To do this, simply expand the corresponding menu.
Sections "Long-term interests", "Age" and "Gender" allow users to be monitored by relevant indicators. Pay attention to the sections of the group "Activity". They will help you to evaluate the behavioral characteristics of visitors: the depth of viewing, time on the site and visits by time of day. Sections from the "Loyalty" group allow users to be assessed by the number and frequency of visits, as well as by the time since the first or the penultimate visit.
The report "Content" allows you to track the effectiveness of site content. Pay attention to the ability to evaluate the content of the resource by URL parameters. For example, you can track the attendance of articles in the context of blog categories. To do this, in the section "By URL parameters" you need to expand the corresponding menu. If you want to visually evaluate the content using a chart or graph, select the desired URL parameters with checkboxes.
Check out the "External Transitions" and "File Downloads" sections. With their help, you can determine the most popular sites that are being visited by visitors to your site, as well as files that your clients download.
This report allows you to monitor the devices and programs that visitors to your site use. In particular, you have the ability to track the following criteria:
- User browsers.
- Display resolutions
- Operating Systems.
- Device types: desktop, smartphone or tablet.
- Flash and Silverlight versions.
Please note that information on tablets and smartphones can be detailed by manufacturers. To do this, you need to expand the corresponding menu and check the necessary items with checkboxes.
This section will help you keep track of the technical characteristics of the resource. In particular, you can check these indicators:
- The load on the site. This section displays the number of requests to the server per second and the maximum number of visitors online.
- Traffic by the minute. In this section, estimate the total number of views and the number of views per minute.
- Page load time. Pay attention to the possibility of estimating this parameter using different metrics.
- The results of the site availability check.
- Visiting the site by robots.
Please note that in the new "Metric" there is no report "Behavior", which is in the standard version of the service.
In "Metric 2.0" access to the "Webvisor" and maps is carried out using a separate menu. These features are discussed below.
How to create a custom report
In the "Reports" menu of the new "Metrics" you can find a list of reports that you use most often, as well as selected reports.
To add a report to favorites, click on the label.
To create a custom report, use the "My Reports - New Report" menu. Use the "Group" button to add monitoring options. For example, imagine that you want to track, in the context of countries, visits of men and women who enter your site from search engines. In the "Sources" section check the option "Search engine". In the "Audience" section, check the box next to the "Gender" option. In the "Geography" section, select "Country". Click the "Apply" button.
Use the "Save" button to add a custom report.
How to analyze user behavior with the help of "Webvisor"
A web visitor is a web analytics tool that records and reproduces the actions of website visitors. With it, you can follow the scrolling of the page, the movements of the mouse cursor, clicks, filling out forms, copying content by users.
How to set up a web browser? Stick to this algorithm:
- Select the menu "Settings - Webvisor".
- Opposite the option "Record page content" select the tab "From the browser". In this case, the web visitor will record the content of the pages in the form in which the visitor sees them in his Internet browser.
- Opposite the option "Download pages to the player", select the tab "On behalf of the anonymous user". In this case, Webvisor reproduces the page that the new unauthorized user sees.
- In the "List of pages to save" field, enter the value "regexp:. *". The system will save all pages of the site.
- Save the changes. The web visitor is ready to go.
In the "Webvisor" menu, you can select the audience segments that you want to evaluate visually. For example, you can choose to visit mobile users: site views on the screens of smartphones and tablets. To do this, select the menu "Segment". In the "Technology - devices" section, mark smartphones and tablets.
Please note that in order to effectively use WebVisor, you should focus on identifying and analyzing specific problems that users encounter when visiting the site. Pay attention to such behaviors:
- Interaction of visitors with content. Do your potential customers read the text, watch images and videos?
- Site navigation. Can users quickly find and use the necessary menu items or links?
- Filling out forms. Are there any difficulties for visitors using different types of gadgets when working with forms?
- Adding goods to the cart and payment orders. This is true for online stores.
- Refusals to use the site due to usability problems. For example, mobile users may leave the resource due to unfriendly chat windows or pop-up forms.
You can fix the problems found and improve site usability with the help of A / B tests.
In the "Webvisor" menu you can add visits to your favorites, as well as receive general information about the visit. To examine the data on the visit, use the icon marked in the illustration.
How to use "Metrics" cards
In the menu "Maps" you can choose one of the following options:
- Reference map.
- Click card.
- Scroll map.
- Form Analytics.
Link Map allows you to define clickable links on the pages of the site. The system indicates each link on the page with flowers. They are assigned depending on the link popularity: the hotter the color, the more transitions are made on the corresponding link. To obtain quantitative values, you must click on the element.
The Yandex.Metrica click map allows you to evaluate the most clickable elements of a page, including links, navigation elements, forms. The warmth of the color decreases from the most to the least popular areas of the page.
Карта скроллинга позволяет оценить среднее время, проведенное пользователем на первом экране страницы и ниже. Благодаря этому вы можете определить целесообразность размещения тех или иных элементов ниже первого экрана.
Карта "Аналитика форм" позволяет оценить взаимодействие пользователей с формами. In particular, you can analyze the conversion of forms and the work of users with form fields.
In the standard version of "Metrics" is available map of the site. It allows you to visually assess the most popular paths for users of your resource. With this function you can determine the effectiveness of the site navigation system, as well as the consistency of its architecture.
Target Call is an advertising effectiveness analysis tool that is converted by calling potential customers to your office. You can use it to evaluate online and offline advertising.
For example, you can use a targeted call to track the effectiveness of contextual advertising. In this case, Yandex provides you with a phone number that is displayed to your potential customers coming to the site by contextual ads. "Metric" takes into account calls to this number.
Please note that the use of the function is chargeable. To use the "Target Call" feature, replenish your account and use the "Add Number" button. If necessary, use the detailed instructions for connecting the "Target Call".
Yandex.Metrika: the best solution for novice site owners
Feel free to use the new "Metric" if you are taking the first steps in web analytics. The Yandex system integrates sufficient functionality and simplicity of the interface to solve practical problems. Pay attention to the flexible possibilities of segmentation of the audience, as well as the availability of custom reports. Pay attention to the unique function of "Webvisor". Look for useful information and discuss your ideas with like-minded people in the "Metrics" club, and also use the API.
If you have comments, additions or questions about the material, welcome to the comments.